Sunday, October 18, 2009

Huzzah!

Another project down.

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to grasp the markup in time. I'm still curious about all the possible mistakes I've yet to catch.

Information ecologies remind me of houses. While the rooms are different, how they are supported is much the same (every couple of feet you put a place a stud in the wall; the trusses beneath the floors to hold the weight). In the Wikitravel information ecology, information is supported by a particular formatting. Without this meticulous attention to detail, the structure will fail and become an anarchic display of information which simply makes no sense.

It's interesting to note that all the information in the world could be at your figure tips, but if it isn't organized properly, it's of no use whatsoever to you.

A little like the Library of Babel, no?

I definitely did not enjoy this as much as I enjoyed the blog project. However, this project introduced me to a new realm. In the future, it seems one's writing skills will only be as good as the way one can apply them to an information ecology. Yet, considering all the formatting that goes on with writing, in publishing, academics, journalism, it is more likely that the aforesaid has always been the case.

Indeed, being a good information architect effects writing in any environment. While organization has always been important to my writing, I've never looked at my writing through the lens of information architecture. I'm sure with this new focus I will sharpen my writing skills all the finer.

In the meantime, I am looking forward to this next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment